The Twisted SmoothieTwisted Recipes
I don't know about you, but finding time for anything other than getting through each day, is pretty tough. Making the time to eat well would always end up at the bottom of the list. But I have found a solution that works for me - smoothies!
Over the last 4 or so months I have tried to have a smoothie for either breakfast or lunch, each day. With the right ingredients added they can really boost your nutrition intake and keep you feeling full for hours.
Once I find a recipe I like I generally stick to it, changing the fruit depending on seasonal availability.
So below is my basic, but yummy go-to smoothie recipe.
- Freeze your overripe bananas and avocados. They add great texture and help keep the smoothie cold. Dice them up and pop into a snap lock bag in your freezer.
- I use frozen free-flow spinach, easy and keeps smoothie colder.
- Use coconut water in place of almond milk if preferred.
- Vanilla flavoured protein powder can also be used.
- Chia seeds can be added for more nutritional value - just make sure you rinse the glasses and blender immediately after use.
- Your blender needs plenty of power to really make a great textured smoothie.
2 cups fresh spinach or 1 cup frozen
1 frozen banana - chopped
1 pear - chopped (or any seasonal fruit)
Juice of 2 lemons or limes
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
4 heaped tbs unflavoured protein powder (I use RED 8)
1 cup almond milk
BLEND UNTIL SMOOTH