Avocado and Grapefruit Salad with Manchego Cheese
This avocado and grapefruit salad with Manchego cheese is a 'grown-up' salad with wonderful complex flavours.
This delicious avocado and grapefruit salad with Manchego cheese is a 'grown-up' salad with wonderful complex flavours.
Twisted Citrus Avocado and grapefruit salad with Manchego cheese
Serves 4 (as a side salad)
Prep time: 15 minutes
2 large Morrison Seedless grapefruit
2 avocados, stones removed, peeled
1 lemon, juice of
4-5 pickled gherkins, sliced
100g Manchego cheese, thinly sliced or grated
4 cups continental baby salad greens, like endive, lollo russco, baby spinach
GRAPEFRUIT AND CAPER DRESSING
½ cup grapefruit juice
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
¼ cup capers, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup avocado oil
1. Prepare the Morrison Seedless grapefruit, cut the ends off the whole grapefruit. Using a sharp knife, cut down between the peel and the flesh of the fruit, following the curve of the fruit to remove the skin. Trim away any stray pith on the exterior fruit. Holding the grapefruit, find the membrane that divides the segmented fruit.
2. Slice down between each side of the membrane, releasing the slither of flesh from the middle. Careful not to squeeze the rest of the fruit too hard as you go, so that the other segments stay juicy. When all the segments have been removed, squeeze the remaining juice from the leftover core, and reserve for vinaigrette.
3. Cut the avocadoes in half and remove the stone. Peel and cut the halves into wedges. Drizzle the avocado wedges with lemon juice. Cut the gherkins into thin slices.
4. Mix together the reserved grapefruit juice, vinegar, mustard, capers in a glass jar or small bowl. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the avocado oil last, and whisk together or place the lid on the glass jar and shake vigorously until emulsified.
5. Assemble the salad, in a large bowl or serving plate toss together the salad greens, grapefruit segments, avocado wedges, gherkin and manchego cheese. Drizzle over half of the caper dressing and toss to coat the greens. Serve immediately.